The format I will use for these 3 posts is similar to the one I use for “Refresh My Heart In Christ – Bible Reading Plan & Study Blog”: a Scripture text, a series of open-ended questions and a poll question.
Case Study #4: Parental Expectations
Summary: The mother of two apostles (Salome, possibly Jesus’ aunt) wanted Jesus to grant her sons premium positions of authority – next to Him in His future glory and kingdom.
Scripture Text: Matthew 20:17 – 28
1. What do (did) your parents want you to be when you grew up? What about you?
2. Why do you think James’ and John’s mother did this?
3. What was Jesus saying by his response in verse 22?
4. How would you describe Jesus’ response to this conflict? An opportunity to scold them? To teach them? To redefine “greatness”?
5. In what area of your life do you think God wants you to be more of a servant? How do you feel about that?
Answer the 4 Poll Questions:
Family Expectations: Bible Lesson. Teen Bible Lesson.