(Cleopas Finds Hope – Luke 24:13 – 35) Bible Lesson. Teen Bible Lesson.
(click to open in a new window)
Take note of this general outline of what Cleopas did to overcome his doubts:
Discussion (Luke 24:13 – 24)
1. We may doubt when things do not work out the way we expect them to. Read verses 19 – 24. Pay close attention to the information after the words “but we had hoped” and “in addition”. What incidents confused Cleopas? Why?
2. Tell (think about, share) a situation in which you were advised to “talk through” a problem. Did it help? Explain.
3. Why is discussing doubt the first step to resolving it? (see James 1:5, 6)
Digestion (Luke 24:25 – 32)
4. Doubt sometimes takes time to resolve. What question did Jesus ask Cleopas (verse 26)? Did Jesus expect him to give a quick answer to that question? Defend your response by explaining how that question was answered (verse 27).
5. Look up the word “epiphany” in a dictionary. Describe the “Aha!” moment that Cleopas had (verses 30, 31).
6. After his epiphany, how did Cleopas’ understanding of what Jesus taught him change (verse 27 and verse 32)?
Declaration (Luke 24:33 – 35)
7. Resolving doubt can cause us to make changes in our plans. How did this experience cause an immediate change in Cleopas’ plans (verse 29 and verse 33)? Why do you think he made this decision?
8. Describe a time when you felt an urgency to share information you just learned.
9. It helps to talk about our new understanding with others who have also come to that understanding. To whom did Cleopas go? What were they discussing when he arrived (verses 33, 34). How do you suppose Cleopas’ information helped their faith?