How We Know Jesus Really Died. Bible Lesson. Teen Bible Lesson.
Then one of them, named Caiaphas, who was high priest that year, spoke up, “You know nothing at all! You do not realize that it is better for you that one man die for the people than that the whole nation perish.” He did not say this on his own, but as high priest that year he prophesied that Jesus would die for the Jewish nation – John 11:49 – 51 (New International Version)
Caiaphas was the one who had advised the Jewish leaders that it would be good if one man died for the people. – John 18:14
The death of Jesus is an important event for believers. But how do we know it actually happened. Complete one, two or all three of these research assignments that follows clues that Jesus’ death is indeed a fact of history.
Clue One: Jesus predicted it before it happened.
1. What details about His death (place, participants, results) did Jesus predict (Matthew 16:21)?
2. Was this prediction expected or surprising to those who heard it? Explain (Matthew 16:22).
3. What other similar predictions did Jesus make (John 2:19 – 22; Matthew 20:17 – 19; Matthew 21:33 – 44; Mark 10:45)?
Clue Two: Scriptures about those who would plot against Jesus predicted it.
1. Study Mark 15:33 – 37. What did Jesus say while on the cross? What did those who heard Him think He was saying?
2. Study Psalm 22:1, 6 – 8, 16 – 18. Knowing the source of what Jesus said, what do you think He was saying?
3. What are some facts accurately predicted in this psalm? See Matthew 27: 35, 41 – 43.
Clue Three: Government officials of the day witnessed and made official statements concerning His death.
1. Study Mark 15:39. Centurions were among the most trusted military officers of Rome. Why do you think this statement by a centurion was included in the Bible?
2. Study Mark 15:43 – 45. Describe the conversation between government officials referred to there. Why is it unlikely that the centurion would have lied about Jesus’ death?
3. How did soldiers guarding Jesus assess His condition (John 19:32 – 34)?